When the weather heats up, nothing satisfies like an ice-cold cocktail. One of my personal favorite summer sippers is the Libertea. This brilliant blend of sweet tea and vodka is utterly refreshing and delicious.
The Libertea cocktail first started appearing on bar menus in the early 2000s and has been a warm weather staple ever since. In this post, I’ll share my perfected recipe for making this crowd-pleasing drink at home. Learn how to mix up a pitcher of Libertea to enjoy all season long.
The Libertea gets its name from the key ingredients – sweet tea and libations (alcohol). To make one pitcher, you’ll need:
- 3 cups prepared sweet tea, chilled
- 1 cup vodka
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wheels, mint sprigs, peach slices for garnish
The base is a classic Southern-style sweet tea. You can use your favorite recipe or a quality store-bought brand. Make it a bit stronger than normal since it will be diluted by ice and vodka.
I prefer using an unflavored vodka like Titos or Deep Eddy for the boozy component. Adjust the vodka measurement if you prefer a stronger or lighter drink.
Freshly squeezed lemon brightens up the Liber tea and balances the sweetness.
Mixing up a pitcher of Libertea is very easy:
- In a 2 quart pitcher, combine the sweet tea, vodka and lemon juice.
- Give it a good stir to blend everything together thoroughly.
- Add lots of ice cubes to chill it down fully.
- Garnish with lemon wheels, fresh mint and/or peach slices.
- Serve over ice in tall glasses with a straw. Sip and enjoy!
For parties, set up a Libertea stand with the ingredients and let guests mix their own custom pitcher.
Tips for the Best Liber tea
To make stellar sweet tea vodka lemonade, follow these tips:
- Make a strong cold brew sweet tea so it retains flavor when diluted.
- Use a neutral flavored vodka like Titos or Deep Eddy.
- Squeeze fresh lemons rather than using bottled juice.
- Mix in fresh herbs like basil, rosemary or thyme.
- Customize with different tea flavors (peach, raspberry, etc.)
- Play with different fruit purees or juices.
- Sweeten more or less to taste.
With the perfect ratio of sweet tea to lemon to vodka, you simply can’t go wrong with a pitcher of delicious Libertea!
One of the great things about this cocktail recipe is how easily it can be customized and varied for different flavors. Try these riffs:
- Swap in flavored vodka – citrus, peach, pomegranate work well
- Use earl grey, chai or other tea varieties
- Mix in purees of mango, strawberry, blueberry, pineapple, etc.
- Top with ginger beer, sparkling wine or rose for a fun twist
- Rim glasses with sugar or salt for a margarita-style Libertea
- Infuse the tea with herbs like basil, lavender or rosemary
Let your imagination run wild to craft your own unique Libertea recipe!
When summertime arrives, I always keep pitchers of Libertea flowing. The balance of sweet and tart with a hint of vodka is so refreshing. I hope you’ll give this super easy cocktail recipe a try soon. Mix up a Libertea and share with friends at your next patio party or barbecue. Stay cool and beat the heat all season long with this sweet tea vodka beverage.